Re: NIS Mounts not mounting correctly

By default the nfsd and mountd were not started. I found that the main problem was
the autofs package in 7.1 iso image. I ended up removing this package and installing
autofs4 and now I can get to all the mount points.

Now the problem is, similar to the one I had with SuSE Linux, is that autofs starts up
upon boot but does not mount the points. When you log into root you can do
/etc/init.d/autofs reload and everything is good to go. This also effects logging in as a

I also would like to thank Forrest for recommending autofs4.

At 08:48 AM 07/19/2001 -0500, you wrote:
On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 11:29:54AM -0700, Taylor, ForrestX wrote:
> > Good Afternoon,
> > I have read the message boards and I am still stumped. I
> > have a RH7.1
> > full install, ypbind and autofs is working. I have added
> > /usr/sbin/rpc.mount.d and /usr/sbin/nfsd 3 to my rc.local file.
> > When I start up I am only able to mount the home directories
> > from my NIS
> > server which is a Solaris 2.6 box. The other 2 mount points
> > are created
> > but I am unable to see anything or get past the main mount
> > point, i.e. cd
> > /usr/local/ works but not cd /usr/local/bin. Those mount points are
> > /usr/local and /projects. I can also only log onto the
> > machine as root. I
> > have also insured authconfig allows authentication for NIS.
> >
> > Any help would be most appreciated.
> >
> > Tom
> What does your /etc/auto.master look like? Can you manually mount the
> directories at /usr/local/bin and /projects (i.e. do you have permission to
> do so)? Take a look at /var/log/messages to see if you have any errors
> relating to this. What does /etc/yp.conf look like? Does "domainname" give
> the correct NIS Domain? Is ypbind running? You should be able to run
> ntsysv and add any services you want at boot (including nfsd, ypbind,
> portmapper, etc.). Do you have a firewall running?
> Forrest
I have other concerns. the nfs daemons are started by the script nsf in /etc/rc.d/init.d.
--Not in rc.local. We need to see the exports file on the nfs server. The following statement
makes no sense:
but I am unable to see anything or get past the main mount
> > point, i.e. cd
> > /usr/local/ works but not cd /usr/local/bin.
/usr/local would have to be ther as directory before the mount. Not being able to go to
/usr/local/bin means the mount failed. Is nfslock from inetd.d being started? The error messages
would be useful.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University