nameservers

Recently I found netscape unable to find the web server which manages my
home page, though I could access this page from my friend's machine (a
different ISP).  It seemed that the nameservers specified in
/etc/resolv.conf were no longer working, and I replaced them with the
addresses of other nameservers, which immediately cleared up the problem.
Unfortunately, every time I reboot the machine this file gets reset back
to its old state.  Why is this happening, and what can I do to permanently
change the file.
  Thanks for any help,
    Richard