Re: nameservers

On Sun, 22 Jul 2001, Richard Horvitz wrote:

> Recently I found netscape unable to find the web server which manages my
> home page, though I could access this page from my friend's machine (a
> different ISP).  It seemed that the nameservers specified in
> /etc/resolv.conf were no longer working, and I replaced them with the
> addresses of other nameservers, which immediately cleared up the problem.
> Unfortunately, every time I reboot the machine this file gets reset back
> to its old state.  Why is this happening, and what can I do to permanently
> change the file.

Any changes I make to /etc/resolv.conf are permanent and do not get
changed automaticly by anything.  I switch between my ISPs nameservers and
the one on my network, depending on what state of mind I'm in.  This is
accomplished by commenting (#) the nameserver I do not wish to use.

Please post your resolv.conf, I expect it is only one or two lines.

[ryan vanessa]:[~]$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
search endless.eu.org
nameserver localhost
#nameserver 24.2.9.33 24.2.9.35

--
            [   Ryan Camick      Cambridge, Ontario, Canada   ]