Re: nameservers

On Sun, 22 Jul 2001, Richard Horvitz wrote:

> Recently I found netscape unable to find the web server which manages my
> home page, though I could access this page from my friend's machine (a
> different ISP).  It seemed that the nameservers specified in
> /etc/resolv.conf were no longer working, and I replaced them with the
> addresses of other nameservers, which immediately cleared up the problem.
> Unfortunately, every time I reboot the machine this file gets reset back
> to its old state.  Why is this happening, and what can I do to permanently
> change the file.
>   Thanks for any help,
>     Richard

If you are getting you IP address through DHCP, this file gets updated
anytime DHCP gets a new address. The contents are comming from your ISP,
so tell them their servers are broken. If you want to specify a particular
nameserver and keep it there, you can try a few things. I generally do
this the "wrong way", but it works for me. I change the /etc/resolv.conf
to what I want, then I run (as root) 'chattr +i /etc/resolf.conf'. This
will make it so that even root can't directly change the file. (you would
need to 'chattr -i /etc/resolf.conf' first) If you have a firewall set up,
you can run named on your own box and tell /etc/resolv.conf to look at
127.0.0.1 and it will work fine.

What's the "right way" you ask? I was afraid you would ask. I forgot.
That's why I do it the "wrong way". But it involves the network scripts.

--
Chris Kloiber, RHCE
Enterprise Support - Red Hat, Inc.