Re: nameservers

Richard Horvitz wrote:

> Recently I found netscape unable to find the web server which manages my
> home page, though I could access this page from my friend's machine (a
> different ISP).  It seemed that the nameservers specified in
> /etc/resolv.conf were no longer working, and I replaced them with the
> addresses of other nameservers, which immediately cleared up the problem.
> Unfortunately, every time I reboot the machine this file gets reset back
> to its old state.  Why is this happening, and what can I do to permanently
> change the file.

Are you using ppp interface?  Is /etc/resolv.conf being re-written each time
at bootup, each time you log into the internet, or both (as in you start ppp
at bootup)? If your using ppp and you dont want pppd to query your
nameservers from the isp each time you log in, then add this to
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0:
PEERDNS=no
Then it will use whatever you have in /etc/resolv.conf. There is another
resolv.conf located in /etc/ppp/ that you might check. Not sure if this helps
or not. Gluck