Re: how to rebuild srpms

On Thu, 26 Jul 2001, Bryan wrote:

> Can some one tell me where I can find a how to on rebuilding rpms from
> srpms, or if some one knows how to do this and can explain it to a newbie

If you want to make NO changes, it's very simple:

# rpm --rebuild <filename>.src.rpm

If you need to change something, you first install the .src package with:

# rpm -ivh <filename>.src.rpm

Then you cn change things in the specfile (/usr/src/redhat/SPECS), or in
the code itself (/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES). When you have things ready, you
go to the SPECS directory again, and type this to rebuild a patched
.src.rpm as well as binary .rpm's.

# rpm -ba <specfile>

The created files will be located in the following directories:

/usr/src/redhat/SRPMS     - a modified .src.rpm for the package.
/usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386 - one or more binary .rpms for the package.

--
Chris Kloiber, RHCE
Enterprise Support - Red Hat, Inc.