Re: ntp setup for a local server and a few clients to that server

On Mon, 30 Jul 2001, Christopher Keller wrote:

> On 30 Jul 2001 20:43:37 -0500, Charles R. Tersteeg wrote:
> > I've read over the ntp howto and a few other articles about ntp and i'm
> > confused as LL.
> To setup ntp on a 7.1 box...funny i just did this on my home machine
> yesterday.
> $ chkconfig ntpd on
> $ echo -e "clock.isc.org\nclock.via.net\ngpstime.trimble.com" >
> /etc/ntp/step-tickers
> $ service ntpd start
> That's it. I just chose these three servers because of proximity. Here
> is a list of level 1 NTP public servers; jsut pick a couple near you. If
> DNS doesn't work, you should use IP's instead.
> http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/clock1.htm
> --Chris

A couple o' nits that I've developed whilst watching messages about
setting up ntp.

I would hesitate recommending level 1 servers.  Personally I try to find
level 2 or 3 servers for service.  Also you might ask your ISP if you can
point to their time server, assuming they maintain one.  Geographically,
(or rather network topoligically) close is bestest.  Traceroute can help
you there.

Three servers is what I remember being recommended.  Somewhat GPS, the
more sources you have, the more accurate the time and redundancy will be