Re: ypserver dying eventually ?

On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Urte Fürst wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm responsible for a bunch of linux machines with RedHat 7.1, kernel
> version 2.4.9-6. The machines are organized in such a way that we have
> a yp domain and one ypserver machine to distribute especially passwords
> among all machines without having to enter the user accounts on each
> machine separately. This does work in principle but every once in a
> while the ypserver process on the NIS server machine seems to die
> and I can't see why this is happening. It results in the effect
> (of course) that other users can no longer log into their machines,
> as the user id is not known when the ypserver does not respond.
>
> Is this some known problem with in the ypserver package? Or do I have to
> change something with my NIS configuration? Anybody having similar
> effects ??

    You might be able to get a clue about what's going wrong by looking
in /var/log/messages.
    Independent of why ypserv is dying, you can allow other users to
nonetheless log onto their machines.  Use "ypinit -s <master server>" on
one or more other computers to make them slave servers.  The slave(s) can
ease the master's load when it's alive, and take over when the master
dies.

--
Steven Yellin