Re: tranferring of bakup from linux to windows

> Pete Peterson <petersonp genrad com> writes:
>
> > I don't believe it's a good idea to just copy the files/directories to
> > the windoze machine using an smbmounted directory.  If you do this, you
> > lose all the ownership/permission information and also don't preserve
> > things like symlinks and hard links.  It's fine to use tar, cpio etc.
> > to *MAKE* the archive and then copy *THAT* to the windoze machine through
> > ftp, the smbmounted directory or any other means.
>
> Agreed. That's what I do here - make several tar.bz2 archives
> (/etc,/usr/local,/var,/home) and put them into an smbmounted
> directory.

Why several? You're misleading here. The whole point of tar is to create
archives which you can also compress. The compression method you choose is
up to you: gz, bz2, etc but the point is that you can archive entire
directory trees recursively. Why on earth would you break them up? Unless
you were reaching your file system's theoretical file size limits.

Ian