Re: WinZip compatible files

On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 02:50:40PM -0600, Thomas Dodd wrote:

> Bernhard Rosenkraenzer wrote:
> > On Mon, 11 Feb 2002, Nalin Perera wrote:
> >
> >> Is it possible to compress a file (Within Linux) to a WinZip format file,
> >> from Linux?
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> >> If so how?
> >
> > Install the zip and unzip packages, and "man zip". Or if you're looking
> > for a GUI frontend, install kdeutils and run ark.
> >
> > LLaP
> > bero
>
> The last version of WinZip I used (~2 years ago)
> also suported tar and gzip formats.
> If a file contained a single file
> that was also a supported type, it would
> offer to "unzip" to a temporary file, and
> then open the temporary file. Worked well for
> compressed tar files like *.tar.gz or *.tgz.
> gnu-tar creates.
>
> 	-Thomas

We are getting confused between zip and gzip. zip which the man page
identifies as a combination of tar and compress is analogous to the
old pkzip in dos. It produces archives of files rather than
compressing a file as gzip does. To make a long story short zip-ing a
series of files forms the archive most related to winzip. The
handling of .tgz files is an added feature.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
715 Stadium Dr.