A quesion about pattern matching

Hi,

I am using Red Hat 7.1, and met a problem about pattern matching.
For example, I typed the command: ls *.c (eg, there are 7 *.c
files). Sometime, I cannot get all seven *.c file in that directory,
which means that some *.c files cannot be recognized, so they would
not be in the list. But when I typed "ls", it would be fine.

Anyone can tell me the reason? How to solve it?

Thank you in advance.

Yurong