Re: A quesion about pattern matching

Yurong Xin <yrxin eden rutgers edu> writes:

> Hi,
>
> For example, I have seven .c files (a.c, b.c, ..., g.c). If I use "ls
> *.c" command, I can only find six files, and one file (eg. f.c) cannot
> be listed. Moreover, I don't know which file or how many files will be
> missed. In this case, f.c cannot be recognized, then it is always that
> file. Of course, when I use "ls", f.c will be back.

There may be space in the file name (at the beginning) or some other
irregularity that isn't apparent on the screen display.

I suggest you open emacs (if installed) on that directory and see what
it shows.  Any irregularity like a space will be apparent.

Type `emacs /path/to/direcrory <ENTER>'
To get emacs to display the contents of that directory.