Re: RAID / backup / CBQ solutions for RH 7.x

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, James P. Roberts wrote:

> >Hi List ;
> >
> >Thanks to Robert and Jim for your advice on the AMD issue , I
> >will be looking into that with my machine.
> >
> >I am looking for a software package or packages that offers the
> >following for Red Hat :
> >
> >1) RAID - all levels ( Especially disk mirroring )
> >2) Browser / GUI controlled backups - complete as well as
> > incremental backups
> >3) Bandwidth and network service control software ( Like CBQ ).
> > Software that can ensure that bandwidth will always be available
> > for our client's email and internet access.  This package must
> > run on Red Hat and must be able to control how resources are
> > spread and allocated.
> >
> >Regards , Jason
>
> RH 7.1 (kernel 2.4.x) includes software RAID support built-in.  I
> believe it provides RAID levels 0 (mirroring), 1 (striping), and 5.
> Take a look at "raidtools" package, and the online RAID how-tos.  It was
> a PITA to set up, but works great once you do.  I personally use a
> combination of RAID 0 and 1.  Mirroring for program and data partitions,
> and striping for /tmp (for speed).  YMMV

For the record, raid 1 is mirroring.

>From the Kernel compilation options:

< >  RAID support
< >   Linear (append) mode
< >   RAID-0 (striping) mode
< >   RAID-1 (mirroring) mode
< >   RAID-4/RAID-5 mode
< >   Multipath I/O support

There's a good software raid howto here:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/Boot+Root+Raid+LILO-4.html

An important caveat is where the howto describes grabbing raidtools,
you'll probably require raidtools2 if you're using a 2.4 kernel. With that
gem of info I'd have saved a day of hair pulling. :\

Ian