Re: Upgrading 7.1

The reason for the upgrade is the requirement for newer versions of software. Up2date is a great service that allows you to stabilise on a particular RH release and keep upto date with the latest bug and security releases. However, up2date only patches the original packages and normally doesn't upgrade them. This isn't a complaint, I'm just pointing out the reason for my decision :)

I've been using 7.1 on this particular server for a long time now and its starting to become a pain that it doesn't have newer software such as Apache 2.0.x, Perl 5.8, Mysql 3.23.54, GCC 3.2.2, QT 3.1.1 etc etc.

My only previous experience of doing a rolling upgrade using a RH boot CD was from a long time back and was from 5.x to 6.x I think...it didn't go well. Thats why I'm a bit skittish about how to do it this time, I've got lots of data I cannot lose :)

--

Mark Cooper
http://netmangler.sourceforge.net - Network Management with Attitude