[sos-devel] question about configuration file

Bryn M. Reeves bmr at redhat.com
Tue Sep 29 09:45:22 UTC 2015

On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 08:52:09PM +0000, Collins, Brian (GE Corporate, consultant) wrote:
> Is it possible to config a sos.conf with the equivalent -o option from the command line?

Hi Brian,

This is done in the 'tunables' section of sos.conf (not a great name but
it dates back all the way to the introduction of the config file and we
haven't yet had a good enough cause to break backward compatibility).

There is an example of this use in the default sos.conf that is
installed by most distribution packages:

  [tunables]

  #rpm.rpmva = off
  #general.syslogsize = 15

To enable the examples just uncomment the line (remove the '#') and
re-run sosreport.

The line format is 'plugin_name.option_name'. To see the list of plugins
and their options for the installed version of sos run 'sosreport -l',
e.g.:

  http://fpaste.org/272569/35192701/

You should be able to set any of the options listed under 'The following
plugin options are available' from the configuration file in this way.

> I have not seen a full options list for the sos.conf. and finding one seems next to impossible....

You don't mention the version of sos that you are running but there
are only two sections supported in the current release (3.2):
'[plugins]' (for disabling plugins), and '[tunables]' (for setting
plugin options).

These are both documented in the sos.conf man page: the docs cover the
structure of the file and the 'sosreport -l' output tells you the
options available for the running version of the command.

You can find all the sos manual pages online as entries in the upstream
wiki:

  https://github.com/sosreport/sos/wiki/sos.conf.5
  https://github.com/sosreport/sos/wiki/sosreport.1

The installed sos.conf may also mention a '[general]' section that was
supported by older sos versions. This is no longer used in the current
release and we will remove the stray references from the example files
in the next release.

Regards,
Bryn.