[sos-devel] Proposal : Remove the ./debian directory from upstream repository

Bryn M. Reeves bmr at redhat.com
Wed Feb 17 14:46:27 UTC 2016

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 02:09:11PM +0100, Louis Bouchard wrote:

> I know it has been discussed in the past but I would like to have a definitive
> discussion on the matter.
>
> I don't think that there is any value in having to do a PR to change the
> debian changelog, update the standard version of change any other
> debian-specific information held in the ./debian directory.
>
> I would be happy to host those bits in a Debian specific repository (on
> alioth.debian.org like most of the debian projects) which will mirror the
> upstream content released on debian/ubuntu, along with the ./debian specific
> files.
>
> This way, the debian maintainer will not have to come & bother the upstream
> development repo with things that are only relevant to Debian.

No objection from my side: the RPM spec file is something of a historical
artefact but it's useful since it will build a usable RPM on most RPM-based
distros.

If you feel you can better manage the Debian pieces on Alioth then by all
means go ahead - if we can coordinate with you to make that straightforward
we'd be happy to do so.

Regards,
Bryn.