[sos-devel] sosreport and snap (sandboxing) issue

Pierre Equoy pierre.equoy at canonical.com
Fri Oct 19 07:19:50 UTC 2018

Hello!

I've been trying to package sosreport as a snap [1] along a small tool I've
developed to submit issues in a bugtracker.

I've been facing an issue with several plugins (e.g. the pci or usb ones)
which generate empty log files. After some investigation [2], I discovered
that the culprit might be sosreport itself given that it hardcodes paths in
the $PATH environment variable [3].

For instance, I found that replacing

    PATH = "/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games" \
+ ":/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin"

with

    PATH =
"$SNAP/usr/sbin:$SNAP/usr/bin:$SNAP/sbin:$SNAP/bin:$SNAP/usr/games:$SNAP/usr/local/games"
\
           + ":$SNAP/usr/local/sbin:$SNAP/usr/local/bin"

in policies/debian.py [3] helps producing a better-looking report (I mean
lspci and lsusb logs are available and contain relevant information).

Given how snaps are sandboxed, there is currently no way of using sosreport
in a snap as it is. Apart from manually patching the policies/debian.py
file before packaging sosreport in my snap, is there a better way to deal
with this issue?

Thanks in advance for your help!

[1] https://snapcraft.io/
[2]