[sos-devel] Help requested getting sosreport to run with custom build of supported plugin

Bryn M. Reeves bmr at redhat.com
Wed May 29 14:45:40 UTC 2019

On Wed, May 29, 2019 at 09:29:33AM -0500, William Konitzer wrote:
> Hi Bryn,
>
> OK, that’s how I thought it was probably supposed to work. However,  we just use a stock Ubuntu distro with our custom build of OpenStack on top - I believe each sosreport policy is supposed to be unique, but I don’t know how to make my policy unique as the Ubuntu policy will also load. I’d rather try and fix this in sosreport than hacking the environment..

If you're looking to make something site-specific work, then you
really are best off just hacking around it locally - and to be
specific, I mean hacking around that in the local sos build, not
the environment. A policy can do anything you like, so if you own
the environment you can just take over the Ubuntu policy and have
it do what you want. Obviously that isn't something that we could
take upstream.

If you are actually distributing this then it would be worth your
while doing the work upstream - this is going to be an extensive
set of changes, with plenty of scope for collisions,

> So essentially for my policy what I’m saying is, it will load both mine and the Ubuntu one, and if that happens I want it to ignore the Ubuntu one. Perhaps a config setting might be the way forward to trigger my custom policy and the rest will fall into place? Would that work?

Take a look at how inheritcance works - you can define additional
tagging classes for plugins at any level in the policy hierarchy.

Then we'd just need to ensure that your new/extra tagging class is
bound more tightly when your sub-policy is in effect.

Regards,
Bryn.