[sos-devel] sos project: new upstream lead

Bryn M. Reeves bmr at redhat.com
Wed Apr 1 16:16:28 UTC 2020

With sos-3.9 out and sos-4.0 planning well under way it's the right time
for me to hang up my hat as sos maintainer and to put the project in the
care of a new pair of hands.

When I began looking after sos in 2010 the project was effectively an
in-house tool used by Red Hat's Global Support Services to collect data
from customer systems. Nearly ten years, thirty releases and 210 new
plugins later and we support well over a dozen distributions, products
and projects, from Red Hat Enterprise Linux and IBM's KVM platform to
community focused distributions like Ubuntu and Fedora: sosreport
archives have become the lingua franca of Linux support data exchange.

In terms of contributions we've gone from a handful of Red Hatters to
hundreds of contributors via our GitHub project pages and the mailing
list, taking in the breadth of the open source community from large
corporate contributors to individuals "scratching an itch". We have a
well-established team of upstream developers, reviewers, and packagers
building sos for a wide range of targets, and a solid history of
delivering new features, performance improvements and an enhanced user
experience release-on-release.

I'm proud of the work that we've done in the time I've been involved and
I'm grateful to have had the opportunity to work with a great bunch of
open source developers, testers, packagers and users throughout my time
with sos and I have every confidence that the project will continue to
grow and improve in the years to come.

I'm sure everyone who has worked on the project in recent years has come
across Jake Hunsaker (aka @TurboTurtle). Jake has been a regular
contributor upstream for a number of years, and has been increasingly
active in code reviews, release planning, and discussions on both the
strategic and technical direction of the project for some time now. Jake
has taken the lead on the sos-4.0 planning initative and has been very
active in cleaning up the PR backlog and driving sos development
forward.

Jake will take over from me as upstream lead from today: please join me
in welcoming Jake to the helm and I look forward to seeing the progress
towards the next major sos release and beyond. I'd also like to thank
everyone who has helped during my time in the hotseat, whether by
contributing code changes, testing, documentation, or suggestions. I'm
very happy to have been a part of sos's transition from a "one man band"
into the busy and thriving open source project it is today.

All the best & looking forward to sos-4.0!

Cheers,
bmr.