[sos-devel] Are the IBM KVM policies still relevant for sos?

Vasant Hegde hegdevasant at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Apr 7 05:31:06 UTC 2021

On 4/6/21 11:11 PM, Jake Hunsaker wrote:
> There is currently a question in the GitHub repo [1][2] about if the IBM
> PowerKVM and ZKVM policies are still relevant/desired in sos. This comes from
> the fact that the policies have not been updated in some time, there are no
> plugins currently tagged with `PowerKVMPlugin` or `ZKVMPlugin`, and the support
> links included in the policies are both dead.

We created `ibmkvm` policy when we initially started supporting KVM on Power
(few year ago).
Now that all support is integrated into distros, I think its safe to remove.

I don't know the story behind zKVM and its status. I will check around.

@Frank, Any objection to drop `ibmkvm` plugin from sosreport ?

> Are these policies still needed in sos? If so, what are the current support
> links so that the policies may be updated? Are there any plugins that need to be
> explicitly enabled for these policies (or new plugins created?). If they aren't,
> we will likely end up dropping them in the next release (4.2).
>

> Alternatively, if there is an appropriate contact within IBM for sos questions
> like this, please let the maintainers know.

I deal with sosreport support for Power. You can contact me for Power Linux
related questions.
I'm not sure if we have someone dealing with sos on Z Linux. Let me check around.

-Vasant