[Spacewalk-list] Installation problem

Miroslav Suchý msuchy at redhat.com
Mon Aug 25 07:34:25 UTC 2008

piya mohamad rafi wrote:
> I'm configuring RHN satellite server on virtual machines in Centos 5. My
Satellite or Spacewalk? I suppose you speak about Spacewalk.

> system configuration is arch=x86_64, RAM=512M.

First 512 is too small, you will experience too much swapping.
I recommend 800MB without monitoring and 1200 MB with monitoring.

> I have followed  these sites.
> https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/wiki/UserDocs
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/satellite/
>
> But here i have seen Oracle database 10g i386 rpm packages.
> My problem is which packages i have to use
> if i use x86_64 rpm package where should i download these packages, or
You can download Oracle XE from oracle.com

> if i use 10g i386 rpm package is it supporting or not?
>
> Here i saw the oracle database 11g rpm packages
> http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/database/index.html
> This site contain  x86_64 rpm packages, can i use oracle database 11g.

You can mix architecture as you like. You can have i386 Spacewalk and
x86_64 Oracle, x86_64 Spacewalk and i386 Oracle. You can use 10g or 11g.

Of course if you have x86_64 architecture, I recommend you to install
x86_64 Spacewalk and Oracle DB.
You can install 11g Oracle, but you should know, that very few people
test it as of today (AFAIK only one did it).

--
Miroslav Suchy
RHN Satellite Engineering, Red Hat