[Spacewalk-list] set up help

Michael ORourke mrorourke at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 27 03:15:33 UTC 2008

set up help
I would just create two new child channels off of your CentOS5U2 channel called:
CentOS5U2-Updates
CentOS5U2-Extras

This is how I have mine setup in a testing environment, and it seems to be working okay.  I plan to extend mine to have two base channels, one for i386 and another for x86_64 architecture.  But for now, all the machines I have for testing are i386 based.

I think the spacewalk-tools channel is just a custom channel used as a placeholder for the client spacewalk tools.  Which doesn't seem that useful to me.  Because you would have to register your client with the spacewalk server in order to access the channel, which requires some of the client tools to be installed in order to register.  And if you put them in their own base channel, then you will have to register, change to the spacewalk-tools channel, install the extra RPMS, and then switch back to the desired base channel.  Seems like it would be more useful to create a <docroot>/pub/spacewalk-client-tools directory and put the client tools in there.  Then you can go grab them at any time with a wget, whether you are registered or not.  Anyone have any other suggestions?

-Mike