[Spacewalk-list] Question about Spacewalk

Romain Pelissier romain.pelissier at bell.ca
Wed Jul 30 17:36:32 UTC 2008

Hi,

We have heard several months ago about the Spacewalk project. We are very
interested in using this solution instead of having to buy a full Satellite
solution.

Our goal is to manage patch and software update/upgrades from our RHES
servers within Spacewalk. We have of course different version deployed of
RHES servers.

I went through the installation process several time and even if all is
going well, we face a major question that I can answer by myself or find any
possible answer to this one.

The main question is: is spacewalk suitable for my needs or not? And if yes,
how to achieve this?

The documentation describes the different steps needed to install the
software but the remaining procedures are less easy to understand:

-          I have used spacewalk-setup -disconnected but what do the
disconnect option really mean?

-          Spacewalk is 'activated' during the setup, but what is this mean?

-          Can Spacewalk retrieve the different repos from RHN (redhat
networks web site) for my different systems and how? Or is this even
possible with Spacewalk? We always tought that Spacewalk could be a fully
functional satellite server but at this point of the installation process,
it is not so clear to me.

Maybe those answers are simple but please, can you give me some information
about the use of spacewalk for a network administrator in his patch and
ssoftware management process.

Bugs that I have found so far:

-          All help pages seems to be missing

-          After the setup, the login page is for the most part black

-          When logged, there is a section called 'and it displays:
Manage Entitlements and Subscriptions:
&ensp &ensp My
<https://cnxsrb38.gsr.connexim.ca/rhn/systems/SystemEntitlements.do>
Organization | Spacewalk-Wide