[Spacewalk-list] RFE: Spacewalk to work with some open source database engine

Jan Pazdziora jpazdziora at redhat.com
Tue Jun 17 15:17:28 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 05:10:01PM +0200, Alexander Todorov wrote:

> I saw that a requirement to install Spacewalk is having Oracle database. Behind
> that choice may be many good decisions which I don't know but being able to
> install with MySQL or PostgreSQL is a big plus IMO, even for the sake of testing
> where people would like to yum install instead of going to a 3rd party place,
> accept some agreement and then download bits.
>
> Please point me to documentations if existing which describes a decision not to
> support other database engines.

https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/wiki/SpacewalkFaq

	Why do you use Oracle? Any plans for supporting other databases?

		Originally the Spacewalk code base was used as
		a hosted application and Oracle was a good choice
		for a hosted application in 2001. Over the years
		open source databases such as Postgres and MySQL have
		improved tremendously in terms of stability, speed,
		and scalability. We have not had the resources
		allocated in the past to add support for an open
		source database but want to do so soon.

Hope this helps for a start,

--
Jan Pazdziora | adelton at #satellite*, #brno
Satellite Engineering, Red Hat