[Spacewalk-list] /var/satellite relocation

Jason Frisvold xenophage0 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 28 02:48:15 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 5:06 PM, Jon Stanley <jonstanley at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah (this is from RHN Satellite 5.1, not Spacewalk - the "Satellite"
> may or may not be replaced with Spacewalk, btw), it's in Satellite
> Tools/Satellite Configuration. The option is "RPM Repository mount
> point"

Hrm...  I re-ran the spacewalk-setup program and started with a clean
database.  I was getting errors about duplicate system IDs, which I
think I caused by trying to stop the rhnreg process.  Anyway, on the
fresh system, I changed the mount point to /usr2/satellite.  I created
this directory and changed ownership to apache:root.  Basically, same
as /var/satellite.  I also created the new channels.

I ran rhnpush to populate the new channels, but I'm getting an error :

[root at dev base]# rhnpush --server=http://localhost/APP
--channel=centos-5.2 CentOS/*
Internal server error 500 Internal Server Error
Error pushing CentOS/a2ps-4.13b-57.2.el5.i386.rpm: Error 500Error Message:
    Package upload failed: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/var/satellite'
Error Class Code: 50
Error Class Info: Invalid information uploaded to the server (500)
Waiting 1 seconds and trying again...
Internal server error 500 Internal Server Error
Error pushing CentOS/a2ps-4.13b-57.2.el5.i386.rpm: Error 500Error Message:
    Package upload failed: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/var/satellite'
Error Class Code: 50
Error Class Info: Invalid information uploaded to the server (500)
Waiting 5 seconds and trying again...
Internal server error 500 Internal Server Error
Error pushing CentOS/a2ps-4.13b-57.2.el5.i386.rpm: Error 500Error Message:
    Package upload failed: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/var/satellite'
Error Class Code: 50
Error Class Info: Invalid information uploaded to the server (500)
Waiting 3 seconds and trying again...
Giving up after 3 attempts

Looks like /var/satellite is hardcoded somewhere?  I wanted to verify
this before I posted a bug report...  Am I missing something?

> I don't think so, even satellite-sync (for Satellite customers to sync
> to RHN hosted) takes quite some time for the database operations when
> sync'ing a new channel, for instance.

I thought perhaps the act of uploading the files via http to the local
server would take all the time..  If there were a way to identify it
as a local server, a simple copy would be enough...  Less overhead.

--
Jason 'XenoPhage' Frisvold
XenoPhage0 at gmail.com
http://blog.godshell.com