[Spacewalk-list] Why does FAQ claim Spacewalk cannot manage RedHat entitlements?

Jesus M. Rodriguez jmrodri at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 02:05:49 UTC 2008

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 8:00 PM, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com> wrote:
> The FAQ asks:
>
>> Can I use Spacewalk to sync my entitlements for Red Hat Enterprise Linux
>> and other Red Hat software products?
>
> And says 'no'. Whyever not? It's straightforward to set up an internal

Read the answer again carefully.

"No. At this time, in order to be able to connect to rhn.redhat.com
and satellite-sync Red
Hat software content, you will need the Satellite product with an
active Satellite certificate."

It states you need the Satellite product in order to "connect to
rhn.redhat.com and
satellite-sync Red Hat software content". Spacewalk can't connect to
rhn.rdhat.com like
Satellite can.

> repository mirror with 'reposync', sync it daily, and configure tools like
> yum (without yum-rhn-plugin) and kickstart and mock to point to that
> repository instead of using the up2date in granny's nightgown that is the
> yum-rhn-plugin utility. This allows you to use the full yum configuration to
> exclude individual components from the RHN repositories, and enormously
> speeds update performance in the UK where I am right now. This is
> particularly true with large deloyments, where a corporate externel network
> connection may be sucked dry by a server room doing an update from RHEL 5.0
> to RHEL 5.2 and sucking down hundreds of updates per machine.

Certainly, if your connection to RHN from the UK is slow, you may
consider Satellite or
a RHN Proxy which are supported products. http://www.redhat.com/red_hat_network/

> Is it really forced to use an off-site repository such as the yum-rhn-plugin
> managed one? Or, if it can do CentOS, why not RHEL off of a local
> repository?

Even if you use Spacewalk to manage your CentOS content, you will be using
the yum-rhn-plugin to connect to Spacewalk.

I hope this answers your questions.

Sincerely,
jesus rodriguez