[Spacewalk-list] Functionallity Suggestion: Become package agnostic

Miroslav Suchý msuchy at redhat.com
Thu Oct 2 13:23:53 UTC 2008

Duncan Innes wrote:
> Theory (albeit mine) says there's very little about Spacewalk that is
> tied to using RPM files for distribution.  If DEB file, tgz or others
> could be used, this would open up a whole new range of interested
> parties to the development table.

You really can not be package agnostic. Client tools will be always
differen. Geting list of installed package is different in Fedora is
really different from Debian, which is really different from Slackware...
The same for server parts, you need different package header parser for
deb, tgz, rpm... And so on...

But good timing! If things will go good, I will tell you more about deb
support on Tuesday.
--
Miroslav Suchy
RHN Satellite Engineering, Red Hat