[Spacewalk-list] Sync profile failure

puck at i29.net puck at i29.net
Tue Oct 14 16:56:02 UTC 2008

I guess that wasn't the problem. Oracle is running much better outside
of VmWare but it's still having the same issue with syncing profiles.
Oddly it works for the initial package sync with rhn_register but never
again. I had rebooted the oracle server a few times to make sure it
wasn't just dead but it never helped.

Now the last time I tried restarting oracle only the listener comes back
up (from running /etc/init.d/oracle-xe start). I've tried following the
manual startup steps but it never gets me anywhere. The problem appears
to be that sqlplus refuses to connect, even to issue a startup command
for the DB, giving me the following error:

sqlplus "sys/password at XE as sysdba"

ERROR:
ORA-12505: TNS:listener does not currently know of SID given in connect
descriptor

Anyone want to wager a guess as to what might be wrong? I've tried it
with and without the @XE just in case. For the record, my listener.ora
file is identical (copy/pasted even) to the one in the spacewalk howto
except that I've changed the domain name to mine. I haven't done any
customizations other than the ones in that howto. The domain is also a
FQDN and I've confirmed reverse DNS works if that matters

It looks like port 9000 and 1521 are open but when I try to connect to
9000 with a browser I receive a blank page and a similar error shows in
the log file.

I'm starting to think that the whole problem is just that oracle sucks.
I've reinstalled it 3 times now following the instructions and I keep
coming back to these insanely complex, nearly untraceable errors. Am I
doing something wrong or should I abandon my project until another DB
back-end is available?

Jem Tallon