[Spacewalk-list] Client hostname resolution

Adrián Márques amarques at geocom.com.uy
Thu Sep 4 20:40:44 UTC 2008

Hello there.

I'm trying out spacewalk on CentOs 5.2 and all my clients' hostnames and
system names are being registered as 'unknown' on the server. What could
be the reason? How does the server determine the client's hostname?

I suppose this is part of the problem: my systems are connected through
a windows network and I can't resolve their hostnames. Well, actually I
can now, but it took configuring samba to publish the netbios name,
doing hostname resolution through WINS and even then I'm not resolving
the FQDNs (clientname.domainname) but the netbios names (clientname).

I'd appreciate any comments on this.

Thanks for you attention.

Best regards.

Adrián.