[Spacewalk-list] Client hostname resolution

Jesus M. Rodriguez jmrodri at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 01:06:12 UTC 2008

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 4:40 PM, Adrián Márques <amarques at geocom.com.uy> wrote:
> Hello there.
>
> I'm trying out spacewalk on CentOs 5.2 and all my clients' hostnames and
> system names are being registered as 'unknown' on the server. What could be
> the reason? How does the server determine the client's hostname?
>
> I suppose this is part of the problem: my systems are connected through a
> windows network and I can't resolve their hostnames. Well, actually I can
> now, but it took configuring samba to publish the netbios name, doing
> hostname resolution through WINS and even then I'm not resolving the FQDNs
> (clientname.domainname) but the netbios names (clientname).
>
> I'd appreciate any comments on this.
>
> Thanks for you attention.
>
> Best regards.
>
> Adrián.

The client uses whatever is returned by gethostname() from the socket,
so you could check
out what that returns with this little snippet of code:

[jmrodri at firebird ~]$ python
>>> from socket import gethostname
>>> gethostname()
'firebird.home.net'

Like others have stated, easiest way is to edit /etc/hosts. There are
probably other
more "appropriate" ways of doing hostnames. :)

jesus