[Spacewalk-list] db-control and Oracle XE?

Michael Mraka michael.mraka at redhat.com
Wed Sep 17 12:08:36 UTC 2008

David Nutter wrote:
% Hello,
%
% I've been trying to follow the instructions here
%
% http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/satellite/Red_Hat_Network_Satellite-5.1.0/html/Installation_Guide/s1-maintenance-backup.html
%
% to use db-control to backup my Spacwalk instance which is using Oracle
% XE. Out of the box, backup, status and report attempts fail with:

Hello David,

db-control is a tool used for database maintanance in RHN Satellite +
embedded Oracle DB environment. While Spacewalk is (more or less) equivalent
to RHN Satellite + external Oracle DB.

In other words db-control was never planned to work with Oracle XE and so
is quite unusable in Spacewalk right now.

For Oracle XE backup and recovery see
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B25329_01/doc/admin.102/b25107/backrest.htm#CHDFAEJF
or nice summary on
http://www.markcallen.com/oracle/oracle-xe-backup
http://www.markcallen.com/oracle/oracle-xe-recovery

If you really feel db-control functionality missing in Spacewalk, please
submit new bugzilla so we can track the issue.

Michael Mráka
Satellite Engineering, Red Hat