[Spacewalk-list] CentOS 5.2 - a warning]

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Wed Apr 22 20:26:44 UTC 2009

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009, m.roth2006 at rcn.com wrote:

> <snip>
>> This is where I reckon you're wrong.  It's not the install of the i686
>> package, it's the uninstall (that I'm guessing has happened) of the x86_64
>> package that caused the problem.  But I really am guessing.
> <snip>
>
> My guess is that the glibc i686 got installed, and that's what created the
> problem.

But you seem to be skipping my point and cutting the wrong bits from my post.

The i686 glibc *should* be installed.  Pick a regular x86_64 install of
CentOS/RHEL/Fedora and you'll find there's a glibc.i686 package installed.

If you don't have a 32bit install of glibc installed then you'll not be
running any 32bit binaries that rely on glibc, which is... everything apart
from static binaries.

Having the i686 glibc installed does not cause these problems.  It just
doesn't.

> And I did correct myself - there were some devel and other 686 kernel
> packages, but no kernel-2.6...i686.rpm.

If you didn't have a 32bit kernel package installed you wouldn't be seeing
symptoms matching the link you provided.

> It will, if that's the only glibc something else sees.

> I suggest taking a gander at the link I provided for the runaway loop error
> I got.

Again, I just don't get this.  The link you provided relates to trying to boot
a 64bit OS install with a 32bit kernel.  That *doesn't* relate to having
glibc.i686 installed.  At all.

jh

--
"Yes, America is gigantic, but a gigantic mistake."  -- Sigmund Freud