[Spacewalk-list] Bare Metal boot can't find stage2.img

John McNulty johnmcn1 at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 24 12:54:14 UTC 2009

We're trying to do a bare metal install of a system but experiencing a
problem when the boot tries to read the stage2.img file over http.

The iso of the CentOS 5.2 distribution DVD is loop back mounted to
/mnt/CentOS5_i386 and this is the tree path for its distribution channel.
The Kickstart profile is all set up, and I've used "cobbler buildiso" to
create a bootable ISO to burn a CD from.  It boots from the CD and presents
the list of profiles.  I select the profile I want and off it goes.  That is
until it tries to transfer over the stage2.img file.  Looking at the console
log on <Alt>-F3 it resolves the hostname ok and then runs through a list of
image files and locations looking for one it can use.  Eventually it gives
up.

I tried browsing to the URL it's looking at:
http://bhypdev.ydh.yha.com/ks/dist/centos5.2_i386/images/stage2.img but what
I get instead is a "Page not found" screen from Spacewalk:

"The page you requested, /rhn/common/DownloadFile.do, was not found"

I've repeated this using a standard CentOS 5.2 boot CD and specifying the
Kickstart URL at the boot prompt but that also takes me to the same point.
I've double checked the network by using the IP address instead of the FQDN
and then examined the contents of <Alt-F3> and it resolves the IP address to
the name, so I'm pretty sure it's a config issue on the Spacewalk server.

Any suggestions?

John