[Spacewalk-list] Kickstart Difficulties - Networking

Andy Speagle andy.speagle at wichita.edu
Thu Aug 13 14:04:49 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-08-13 at 08:48 -0500, Jeremy Mueller wrote:
> Andy,
>
> Try setting your network line to something like:
>
> --bootproto query --device eth0 --bootproto static --noipv6 --netmask
> <mask> --gateway <gw> --nameserver <dns1>,<dns2>
>
> This should query you for if you want to use DHCP or manually set the
> ip, then you can tell it to manually set the settings, then it'll fill
> in all the fields you want, only leaving the IP field for you to fill
> in.
>
> We found that during the kickstart, if DHCP is available, the install
> would default back to DHCP, even if you manually configure the IPs.
> The "--bootproto query" solved this for us.
>
> --Jeremy

Ok, that's good to know.  I thought I had tried that before, but perhaps
not.  I've solved this for now for myself.  Instead of muck with
anaconda's eccentricities, I engineered out the problem.

What I'm doing instead is appending a parameter to the PXE boot line
that means nothing to any part of the installer ala:

destip=<ip>

Then... a simple non-chroot post-install script passes this into the
chroot environment..

cat /proc/cmdline | tr ' ' '\n' | grep ^destip | sed 's/destip=//'
> /mnt/sysimage/root/ipaddr.install

Then without the gory details, I'm essentially using that IP to make
modifications to the key config files during post-install.  Such as...

Add entry to /etc/hosts
Mod /etc/sysconfig/network
Mod /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-<intf>

So... with the common network config pre-filled in the kickstart,
anaconda uses the IP from DHCP to do the install and I clean it up at
the end.

Probably not super-elegant, but it makes my admins only have to dink
with one variable in the PXE boot menu when they select the kickstart to
use.

Thanks!
--
Andy Speagle