[Spacewalk-list] Spacewalk & pam_ldap

Brandon Perkins bperkins at redhat.com
Tue Aug 25 16:28:58 UTC 2009

Andy Speagle wrote:
>> 1) Can you authenticate the user using LDAP for a different daemon,
>> like
>> SSH successfully?  If not, take another look at your authconfig.
>
> Yes, LDAP logins for SSH authentication works well...
>
>> 2) Paste your /etc/pam.d/rhn-satellite file so we can take a look at
>> it.
>
> # cat /etc/pam.d/spacewalk
> #%PAM-1.0
> auth        required      pam_env.so
> auth        sufficient    pam_ldap.so
> auth        required      pam_deny.so
> account     required      pam_ldap.so

So, this doesn't look right to me, I'd expect something more along the
lines of:

 #%PAM-1.0
 auth		required	pam_env.so
 auth		sufficient	pam_ldap.so no_user_check
 auth		required	pam_deny.so
 account	required	pam_ldap.so no_user_check

Notice the 'no_user_check's.  My PAM is a bit rusty, so I don't recall
exactly what this does.  But comparing against all known working
configurations against LDAP I see, this is the thing that stands-out for
me.  There is also the outside chance (that if this is a 64-bit box)
that the path to the library needs to be pre-pended with:

/lib64/security/

So its more like:

 #%PAM-1.0
 auth		required	/lib64/security/pam_env.so
 auth		sufficient	/lib64/security/pam_ldap.so no_user_check
 auth		required	/lib64/security/pam_deny.so
 account	required	/lib64/security/pam_ldap.so no_user_check

You should also take a look at /var/log/tomcat/catalina.out when trying
to log into the Web interface with this user to see if there is anything
interesting being reported at the Satellite level.

Good luck!
Brandon