[Spacewalk-list] Spacewalk + Oracle XE =>ORA-12952: The request exceeds the maximum allowed database size of 4 GB

Michael Mraka michael.mraka at redhat.com
Tue Dec 1 10:38:27 UTC 2009

David Nutter wrote:
% > BTW, Oracle XE is limited to 4GB of disk space and Spacewalk only uses <2GB:
% >
% > SELECT SUM((blocks*8)/1024) FROM all_tables WHERE owner = 'SPACEWALK';
% >
% > SUM((BLOCKS*8)/1024)
% > --------------------
% >           1840.25781
% >
% > We're investigating when Oracle spents 4GB of disk space, and if there's
% > no solution we will purchase an Oracle licence, thanks!
%
% I was wondering about space usage as well and after a bit of googling
% found this:
%
% http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_script_oracle_table_size.htm
%
% It seems that Oracle has several different concepts of size, all
% rather confusing. For this reason I use the space report in Oracle's
% web interface rather than using SQLplus. Presumably XE thinks it is
% using much more space than your block count above - possibly it counts
% the redo logs and so forth in the overall space count.

Sometimes things are much simply then they seem; you've forgotten about indexes.

oracle$ sqlplus / as sysdba
SQL> select trunc(sum(bytes)/1024/1024, 2) MB from dba_segments where owner = 'SPACEWALK';

--
Michael Mráka
Satellite Engineering, Red Hat