[Spacewalk-list] spacewalk or satellite

Miroslav Suchý msuchy at redhat.com
Wed Dec 2 11:34:41 UTC 2009

Tom Brown wrote:
> So i need to decide on which is 'best' for us -
>
> What i need to know is is it possible to simply have the spacewalk
> server receive all updates from rhn and apply them to a channel and have
> all machines subscribed to that channel report that they are out of date
> and simply apply those updates when i ask ?

Yes, you can.
You can write your own script around rhnpush.
You can use:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/spacewalk-list/2009-September/msg00004.html
And of course in RHN Satellite you have tool satellite-sync, which do
this syncing for you. And if you choose RHN Satellite you will get
support and you will support develop of Spacewalk as well.

> I am pretty sure i can do this with satellite but i presume its also
> possible with spacewalk although scheduling jobs such as reboots etc
> seems to not work for me.

They are disabled by default. Check:
   man rhn-actions-control

--