[Spacewalk-list] rhn_check hangs if no internet access is available

Jonathan Scott lists at xistenz.org
Fri Dec 4 00:59:03 UTC 2009

Andy Miller wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I've nearly finished setting up a Spacewalk server to provision CentOS
> 5.4 (initially).
>
> Machines on the company LAN have limited internet access, they do not
> have access to remote repositories, only the local Spacewalk server. So
> in a %post section of my kickstart I have some commands to wipe the
> default repos from /etc/yum.repos.d.
>
> However, Spacewalk is inserting a call to rhn_check into the Kickstart
> that gets run before my %post section, so the repos are still there and
> the command hangs for a goodly while trying to see if the default
> repositories are faster than the local Spacewalk server. It gives up
> eventually, but the pause is unacceptably long.
>
> Any suggestions on how I can either
> * wipe /etc/yum.repos.d before rhn_check is run
> * stop the .repo files from being copied down in the first place
> * stop rhn_check running (I don't believe it is vital at this point, I
> can add to my %post section if it is?)
> * otherwise stop the command from hanging around?
>
> Many thanks
>
> Andy

Since I pull down everything into local channels and use the
yum-rhn-plugin, I just drop the following in my /etc/yum.conf during my
%post:

reposdir=

seems to do the trick, lasts through full system updates/upgrades.
The .repo files are still there, they get overwritten when I update the
server, but they're never checked because of that reposdir setting, just
the rhn-plugin.

- Jonathan