[Spacewalk-list] Required version of yum to support yum-rhn-plugin?

Michael Gale Michael.Gale at pason.com
Thu Dec 10 18:24:53 UTC 2009

Hello,

     I have searched the archive but was not able to find an answer
this, is there a required version of yum to support spacewalk > 0.5 and
the yum-rhn-plugin?

I have had spacewalk running since version 0.2 and have been using
CentOS 4.X and Centos5.2 clients. After upgrading from 0.5 to 0.7 none
of the client machines are able to use yum to talk to the spacewalk
server. I upgrade from 0.5 to 0.6 and then directly to 0.7. At this
point I noticed the rhn commands and my connectivity to the spacewalk
server worked fine however on the clients the yum command would fail
with:

--snip--

[root at hub-us-web-tst-2 ~]# yum install strace

 * datahub-developer-52-qa: hub-na-spc-pro-1.int.pason.com

 * updates-i386: yum-update.int.pason.com

 * addons-i386: yum-update.int.pason.com

 * base-i386: yum-update.int.pason.com

 * datahub-i386-52-qa: hub-na-spc-pro-1.int.pason.com

 * extras-i386: yum-update.int.pason.com

 * base: yum-update.int.pason.com

 * updates: yum-update.int.pason.com

 * datahub-base-52-qa: hub-na-spc-pro-1.int.pason.com

 * addons: yum-update.int.pason.com

 * extras: yum-update.int.pason.com

datahub-developer-52-qa   100% |=========================|  871 B
00:00

datahub-i386-52-qa        100% |=========================|  877 B
00:00

primary.xml.gz            100% |=========================|  40 kB
00:00

Error: failed to retrieve repodata/primary.xml.gz from
datahub-i386-52-qa

error was [Errno -3] Error performing checksum

--snip--

The logs on the spacewalk server showed everything was successful, a
tcpdump confirmed. On the clients I tried several things. Finally I took
the yum version from CentOS 5.3 and installed it on the clients and
everything now works as expected. (yum-3.2.19-18.el5.centos.noarch.rpm)

It looks like there is yum version requirement?

Michael Gale