[Spacewalk-list] Mr. 500 here... more info

Mike McCune mmccune at redhat.com
Fri Feb 6 20:36:39 UTC 2009

m.roth2006 at rcn.com wrote:
>> Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 07:59:33 -0500
>> From: Stewart L <stewartl42 at gmail.com>
>>
>>     This is a *massive* deviation from the
>>     installation instructions to
>>     only be mentioning now. (I don't remember reading
>>     this before in any of
>>     your many many threads) You've been interrupting
>>     spacewalk-setup,
>>     seeing no errors in the logs, and carrying on as
>>     if it was successful?
>>
>>     What stage was it at when you interrupted it?
>>
>>     Wondering if it's generating the SSL certificate
>>     and having trouble
>>     getting enough entropy in a vmware guest.
>
> Nope. The SSL cert's generated, and is fine. As I said, it seemed to literally hang: I was watching the o and O alternating, then it froze.
>
> However, here's what's going on now: the suggestion that I look into the o/s build was dead on the money. AFTER I asked the other admin, *then* he tells me, "oh, yeah, that's not a straight template, we locked it down as tight as we could before we made it a template.
>
> #insert shrieking.h
>
> So, I've just built a new VM, using the CentOS 5.2 net install. A *standard* install. The plan is for me to go through the whole spacewalk install on this, and see if that works. If so, then I've asked the other admin for a list of steps he used to lock it down, and I'll apply them one by one, and see where it breaks.
>
> Two questions:
>   1. *Why* do the instructions want to put tnsnames.ora in
>          /etc? The Oracle install puts it in it's regular
>         location of $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin, and once I
>         set my Oracle environment, I can use sqlplus with
>         no trouble. Is it there for the instant client?
>   2. Are the spacewalk client tools a separate, and necessary
>         d/l? (I'm seeing that on the CentOS howto, but
>         that hasn't been updated since spacewalk .3.)
>
>        mark "what I get for trusting the corporate
>                  std. build...."

We actually reproduced your pxt error and discovered a few steps you
should take to try and resolve the issue.

Can you verify that you have:

* oracle-lib-compat installed
* verify that /etc/ld.so.conf.d/oracle-lib-compat.conf file exists
* if it does NOT exist please reinstall oracle-lib-compat

Mike
--
Mike McCune
mmccune AT redhat.com