[Spacewalk-list] rhnpush problems

m.roth2006 at rcn.com m.roth2006 at rcn.com
Wed Feb 11 21:42:40 UTC 2009

Pradeep,

>Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 16:18:54 -0500
>From: Pradeep Kilambi <pkilambi at redhat.com>
>m.roth2006 at rcn.com wrote:
>> Having successfully reposync'd the CamtOS 5.2 46-bit base, I started rhnpush. A while later, I ran out of filespace, and realized I'd had a typo in the command, and the path was wrong, and that I had to rename the channel. So I <ctrl-C>'d it. Corrected it, and tried to start it up again.
>>
>> No joy. I've been trying for hours; bounced spacewalk, and oracle, and finally the whole bloody *box*, and it's now been sitting there "connecting" for 20-25 min.
<snip>
>Please go through the recent suggestions and patches I shared. Those
>should resolve most of your rhnpush problems. If you have a

Well, I *finally* got it going. Here's an odd thing: I was starting the one-line script and piping stdout and stderr into a file, then tail -f the file. All I saw was the "connecting". Finally, I tried running it from the command line, and *now* it sat there for a few minutes, *then* complained that the channel didn't exist, or that I didn't have the right to manage it.

So, as I'd been thinking about how I should set up the channels since I created it, I deleted it, recreated it, then created subchannels under the CentOS5-x86_64, one each for base, updates, addons and extras. I also spelled, and had the case the same for both channel name and channel label. It appears to me - correct me if I'm wrong - that rhnpush is using the name rather than the label. Then I also added in the password on the command line (don't like that, I'd like it to prompt me, so it doesn't go in history), and it's working.

It *seems* as though my real problems were with the channel. That being said, I don't understand why it sits there for so long, before doing anything, and why it didn't write the error message to the file.

      mark