[Spacewalk-list] "bareMetalProvisioning" Wiki page

Mike McCune mmccune at redhat.com
Thu Feb 12 02:26:54 UTC 2009

Michael DeHaan wrote:
>> I was reading over the Cobbler Wiki page and found
>> https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/wiki/bareMetalBrainstorming
>>
>> I am not sure what the page is trying to discuss -- or why this is a
>> new thing specific to metal as the things mentioned are no different
>> in Spacewalk if doing reinstalls or guests.   If it's the general
>> topic of "how do I manage diverse kickstart configurations that may
>> span multiple sites" the answer is "templating", and "it varies
>> greatly based on site".
>> I can see where the wizard based kickstart-generator engine in
>> Satellite would have some workflow problems with this, yes.   Cobbler
>> is designed to solve all of those, so I think the question can be closed?
>>
>> --Michael

> Anyone care to comment or shall I Wiki Garden this as closed?
>
> --Michael

oops, this got missed by me.  Basically that page was a brainstorming
session Dave and myself had over the workflow of doing PXE based
installs.  We were curious about how customers setup and manage large
scale (and small) PXE environments and if what we have built with
spacewalk and cobbler will suit their needs.

Basically a way to further refine future changes to spacewalk-cobbler to
better meet the needs of our users beyond Spacewalk 0.4 and 0.5.  We
were contemplating doing some sort of survey of our Spacewalk,
Satellite, Cobbler and other users on how they use (or don't use) our
products to do their kickstarts.

perhaps this wiki page and a survey isn't the right place for that kind
of thing.  It might be worth doing this kind of research *after*
Spacewalk 0.5 is out and Satellite 5.3 is available so more people have
our product in front of them vs talking to people about things they may
not have access too.

Mike
--
Mike McCune