[Spacewalk-list] Are there any docs for configuring the client for a push?

Máirín Duffy duffy at redhat.com
Fri Feb 20 14:34:04 UTC 2009

Hi Mark,

m.roth2006 at rcn.com wrote:
>> From: Máirí­n Duffy <duffy at redhat.com>
>> What steps did you follow up to this point??

You skipped this key question. It will be extremely
difficult to help if I have no idea how you got into the
state you're in now.

>> 'OSAD spacewalk' in yahoo or google. Anyhow, here is the documentation
>>from there that talks about OSAD beyond how to set it up:
>> https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/wiki/HowToRhnpush
>
> Um, there's no link to that doc at <https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/wiki/UserDocs> That's where I was looking, and I followed the "Registering Clients". I looked at the ManageingFedoraSystems, and that's the one that has, as the last two lines of the doc,
> Pushing packages to Fedora clients
> Managing configuration of Fedora clients
> that are *not* links, but apparently placeholders for future documents.

There absolutely is a link to that doc on that page. Look at
the second set of links, "Administrative Documentation". It
is the first link in that section: "osad and osa-dispatcher."

>>From a quick skim of that document, is it the case that jabberd only needs to run on the server, not on the client?

As the document at the link I sent you would likely reveal
if you more than skimmed it :), osad service needs to run on
the client, and osa-dispatcher and jabberd need to run on
the server. The document does not indicate a need to install
jabberd on the client.

> The error logs:
>         at com.redhat.rhn.frontend.action.schedule.ScheduledActionAction.cancelActions(ScheduledActionAction.java:119)
>         at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
>         at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
>         at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:616)
>         at org.apache.struts.actions.DispatchAction.dispatchMethod(DispatchAction.java:270)
>         at org.apache.struts.actions.DispatchAction.execute(DispatchAction.java:187)
>         at org.apache.struts.actions.LookupDispatchAction.execute(LookupDispatchAction.java:150)
>         at org.apache.struts.action.RequestPro

It's somehow ending up at a null pointer exception when you
hit a button to cancel a scheduled action, it appears. Of
course, without knowing the steps you followed up to this
point (I am curious how you would configure push to clients
without osad) it's really hard to understand why this would
happen.

What action did you schedule? A client update? What client?
If you go to the schedule actions page for that client (i
think the tab is called events or history in the system
details page) you should be able to dig up an error message
in the web UI? Which action did you cancel?

~m