[Spacewalk-list] Updating packages on client from new channel

Michael ORourke mrorourke at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 25 23:18:03 UTC 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Brown" <tom at ng23.net>
To: <spacewalk-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 4:12 PM
Subject: [Spacewalk-list] Updating packages on client from new channel

> Hi
>
> I am slowing getting more used to spacewalk and i have a couple of boxes
> registered to the default channel which in this case is the centos 5.2
> base channel
>
> I have now downloaded the updates channel and wish to create a new channel
> and then subscribe those boxes to this new channel and then be able to
> select packages from that channel to update.

Create a child channel called centos-5.2-updates (or similar) under the
centos 5.2 base channel.  It doesn't sound like you have done that yet.
Then change your subscriptions for the registered boxes to include the child
channel (centos-5.2-updates).  Now you should be able to pick and choose
what updates you push to your clients.

> Is it possible to select indivial packages to update or is it all out the
> channel or none?

I guess it might depend on how you are updating your clients, but you should
be able to push out only the updates you want from your "updates" child
channel from spacewalk.