[Spacewalk-list] question about repo's

Michael ORourke mrorourke at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 12 17:11:53 UTC 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jesus M. Rodriguez" <jmrodri at gmail.com>
To: <spacewalk-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Friday, January 09, 2009 10:30 AM
Subject: Re: [Spacewalk-list] question about repo's

> On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 4:45 AM, Michiel van Es <michiele at info.nl> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am hosting spacewalk 3.0 on a CentOS 5.2 server and have 2 scripts for
>> syncing the repo's and pushing the repo's to spacewalk.
>>
>> Both actions download and copy the rpm's.
>>
>> The reposync put the downloaded repo's in
>>
>> [root at devmx01 repodata]# cd /repodata/repositories
>> [root at devmx01 repositories]# ls
>> CentOS4_updates  CentOS5
>> [root at devmx01 repositories]# cd
>> [root at devmx01 repositories]# du -hs
>> 12G     .
>>
>> Whis is 12 GB
>>
>> But then the push into Spacewalk also put the rpm's in
>> /repodata/sattelite:
>>
>> [root at devmx01 repodata]# cd satellite/
>> [root at devmx01 satellite]# du -hs
>> 11G     .
>
> I'm not sure why we're putting packages in /repodata/satellite unless your
> /var also points to /repodata. I'm going to assume that is the case.
> Spacewalk stores all of it's packages in /var/satellite which is why you
> would
> see that duplication. Unfortunately, that is how it currently works.
>
>> Now I have at 2 places the same rpm.
>> Is it a possibility to remove the /repodata/repositories/*.rpm's ?
>
> Once the rpms have been pushed to Spacewalk and land in /var/satellite,
> we wouldn't need any other rpms just the ones in /var/satellite.

If you delete the locally synced data after pushing into spacewalk, then do
a reposync, you will effectively be downloading all the packages again.
Which doesn't sound like you will gain anything.  I guess if you just did
the reposync on the base packages, then you could safely delete them after
pushing into spacewalk, but with 'updates' or any other repos that are not
static, you would have the same issue.
Here's a thought, maybe you could zero out the packages after pushing into
spacewalk.  Which would require a custom script.  And you will need to do a
filelist before and after you synchronize so that you could take the diff
and only push the new files into spacewalk, then zero them out after the
push.  That would save you from keeping duplicates of all the packages and a
lot of disk space.  However reposync doesn't have that functionality, so a
custom script would need to be written.