[Spacewalk-list] question about repo's

Michael ORourke mrorourke at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 21 20:21:20 UTC 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Hodrien" <J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk>
To: <spacewalk-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Monday, January 12, 2009 12:22 PM
Subject: Re: [Spacewalk-list] question about repo's

> On Mon, 12 Jan 2009, Michael ORourke wrote:
>
>> If you delete the locally synced data after pushing into spacewalk, then
>> do a reposync, you will effectively be downloading all the packages
>> again. Which doesn't sound like you will gain anything.  I guess if you
>> just did the reposync on the base packages, then you could safely delete
>> them after pushing into spacewalk, but with 'updates' or any other repos
>> that are not static, you would have the same issue.
>> Here's a thought, maybe you could zero out the packages after pushing
>> into spacewalk.  Which would require a custom script.  And you will need
>> to do a filelist before and after you synchronize so that you could take
>> the diff and only push the new files into spacewalk, then zero them out
>> after the push. That would save you from keeping duplicates of all the
>> packages and a lot of disk space.  However reposync doesn't have that
>> functionality, so a custom script would need to be written.
>
> There'd be nothing stopping you hardlinking identical packages from your
> repo
> directory with those in the satellite directory that I can think of...
>
> That wouldn't confuse reposync.
>
> jh

Good idea.  Linking the files to the repo directory.
Also, it appears that reposync will work with both hard and symbolicaly
linked files.
So this could easily be scripted by doing...
1. run reposync.
2. run a find for newer (or non-linked) files within the reposync'd
directory.
3. rhnpush the new files into the appropriate channel.
4. replace the files from the reposync'd directory with links to files under
/var/satellite/.
5. done.

-Mike