[Spacewalk-list] Correct way to manage channels/updates for CentOS 5

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Thu Jan 22 17:01:21 UTC 2009

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009, Santi Saez wrote:

> El 20/1/09 13:39, John Hodrien escribió:
>
>>> AFAIK, threre is not package upgrades in "base" repo.. So my question
>>> is: we need to make a new channel for "updates"? Or perhaps it's
>>> better uploading package upgrades to "base" channel directly.. what
>>> method do you use, one or two channels? thanks!
>>
>> Two channels.
>
> Hi John,
>
> Thanks for advice, can I add a server to 2 channels? It would be could to
> have a server in CentOS 5.2 "base" and "updates" channels.. but according to
> the Wiki it appears that it's not possible, is it correct?

No.

> For example, what's the correct way to manage package upgrade correctly in a
> CentOS 5.2 environment? What channel configuration do you use?

You have a CentOS 5.2 base channel, and a child channel for CentOS 5.2
Updates.  The client can be a member of both of those channels, or in fact as
many as you've got.  I have about 5 child channels per base channel (all
updates, internal rpms, livna rpms, approved updates).

jh

--
"If each man takes his conscience as his guide he is like to become a law unto
  himself, and sonscience often tells us that which we would hear."