[Spacewalk-list] Best way to handle channel updates

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Tue Jan 27 17:18:27 UTC 2009

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009, Stewart L wrote:

> I mirror the CentOS 5.2  base and updates repositories.   what is the
> best way to handle these?

I'm sure this has been covered on the mailing list.

One channel "CentOS 5.2" with another channel "CentOS 5.2 updates" as a child
channel.  That's the way I'd do it anyway.

> Looking at the RHN website, it seems they just have the one channel
> called "Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5".
>
> So it appears that I should push the base RPMS first then push the
> updates into the same channel using the --newest flag.  figured I
> would ask first since this appears to be a time-consuming process.

You can use --newest if you really want, although I'd not myself.

> Also read somewhere that the rhnpush process could take days? is that
> correct? and the nex question is, is there a faster way?

Days is somewhat pushing it unless you're running on a feeble machine with
slow disk and not a lot of memory.  It'll more likely take several hours to
push all of 5.2 and all the updates.

There's no faster way.

jh

--
"Yes, America is gigantic, but a gigantic mistake."  -- Sigmund Freud