[Spacewalk-list] Package Profile Question

Kevin Arhelger javapunk+sw at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 19:02:18 UTC 2009

I'm currently using spacewalk to administer a Computer Science lab at
a University. We use it for the CentOS servers and also the ~50 Fedora
10 lab computers.

Everything works great for managing updates, but I am looking for a
way to keep a single profile of installed packages for the lab.

It seems that if I use package profiles, I have to use all of the
packages on a machine as a reference point. I can't do this because
the machines are a mix if AMD/Intel with different graphics cards.
Using a single profile like that would install large memory support
kernels or graphics drivers that are not needed. Also I don't care
what version of a package is installed.

Basically I am trying to replicate the functionality of debian's
package-sync through spacewalk.

Does anyone have a solution for this problem? I would like to just
have a single list of software that I can check against the machines
and use to make sure they have all of the packages on that list are
installed.

Is this something I could maybe do through spacewalk api?

Thanks,
Kevin Arhelger
University of Minnesota Morris
Computer Science Lab Administrator