[Spacewalk-list] Best practices ?

Glaser, David dsglaser at umich.edu
Mon Jul 27 16:37:57 UTC 2009

I guess for that question it really comes down to how you run your business/venture. If you are more bleeding edge, you probably are syncing your spacewalk/Satellite to bring down new packages nightly or weekly. If that's the case, then when you clients connect, they are probably getting the new packages at that time.

In a more conservative environment, you may be syncing only when things change or when there are security updates out for your version, in that case, you can decide when you want to have those updates synced to your servers and thereby show up on your clients. I don't believe that there is a given best practices for every situation since every situation is different.

With either product, you could run test channels and clones so that you could test out every security and errata before deploying it to clients, however that is a lot of overhead. We run our satellite to download packages often and our clients get automatically updated. Very seldom do we see issues with this setup. We are just starting with Spacewalk, so we haven't really decided on an update scheme yet.

Dave